Thursday, October 1, 2009

So I have been using the van as my daily driver. Unbelievable. I am almost to the point where I am not completely paranoid that the van will die, self destruct, blow-up every second. I completely obsess over oil pressure and oil temp. It is no longer the heat of summer so the oil stays about 20 degrees cooler. I run at about 200 in the cooler weather compared to 215-220 with temps in the 90's. Temp makes a massive difference in pressure. At cruising highway speed i am at about 26 lbs in cool weather and about 21 at higher temp. I know these pressures are low and it means that the tolerances at the crank journals, bearings, end play are too loose, but it is better than the old engine was before it threw a rod. Hopefully it will keep going for at least a year.
I should have gone with oversized bearings and some machine work on the cam to make the bottom end tighter. I can start rebuilding the other engine I have and do it better.
I also might have a problem with the pressure relief valve. The valve, according to samba, should just fall right out when the screw/plug is removed. It never did. So at the next oil change, I might try to knock it out or push it further up in there. I will definitely shim the pressure relief spring with the 1/4" washer like tencent says.
I am only getting about 16 mpg but that is mostly city driving and short errands. The tank holds 16 gallons. That gives a range of not quite 250 before you are really pushing it. I did run out of gas tuesday-drifted into the gas station-living right.
priced deep cycle batteries today. The size that does not fit under the seat (group 24) $79 for 90Ah. The size that fits about $140 with less Ah. 90Ah is enough to run a truck fridge efficient refrigerator and a little microwave so long as you drive somewhere every day and enough to run CD players, etc. without worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment