Monday, January 3, 2011

iTube for iPod







So Santa brought me connector that plays my iPod through the FM radio. The problem was that there is a total tangle of cords and plugs and the FM display thing hanging there. It is almost impossible to work the thing while driving. So I took a section of 1 1/2" PVC, cut slices in the edges to route the cables and finished the prototype with electrical tape. Some velcroon the outside with a patch on the dash and it will stay put. Finally, if I had made it just a bit bigger, the iPod and the connector wouldall fit in the tube for travel/storage.



I kowmy last two projects were PVC based. I am not a "make everything with PVC," I have just been doing lot ofplumbing lately.



The slots are at 90 degree angles to each other and they are about 2 saw blades wide. Use a file or rasp or sound paper folded around a paint stirrer to widen and smooth the slots. Fresh cut PVC will slice open a charging cable jammed into the slot - (note electrical tape on charger.)
Caps on the end, maybe some zip ties or even grommets could dress it up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment